Monday, 2 September 2013

This is the biggest day of your life

Bad things have this weird way of creeping up to you when you least expect it. A couple of weeks ago I blogged about how difficult it is to realize your parents are mortal, and somehow some days later I got to know how difficult it is to realize you'll never see one of your parents again.

I've spent entire summers watching Grey's Anatomy and can practically quote half of it by heart. In one particular episode, Izzie goes:

"You never know the biggest day of your life is the biggest day. Not until it's happening. You don't recognize the biggest day of your life, not until you're right in the middle of it. The day you commit to something or someone. The day you get your heart broken. The day you meet your soul mate. The day you realize there's not enough time, because you wanna live forever."


And I've always felt I could relate to Izzie here. Honestly, we always think the biggest days of our lives are marked with a red pen on our calendars - our birthdays, our graduation day, our wedding day. But things go wrong and plans don't work out, and suddenly you realize the biggest day of your life, the most life-changing day in your life is happening. And it's happening right now. It surprises you - and it's not always in the pleasant type of surprise.

So yes, it's perfectly okay to break-down.
There's plenty of time to be strong in the future.
However it's perfectly okay to realize that day is now over, and that it's time to face the changes it has brought with it. I've spent an entire year dreading tomorrow. I've spent the past couple of weeks thinking about the importance of tomorrow. 3rd September 2013. But I guess the only way to make this feeling disappear is to face tomorrow with plenty of courage and a few secret weapons. Tomorrow marks the day of a really crucial exam - however I know someone else will be sitting right next to me, holding my pen and guiding me - the same way this person guided me through life. 

My friend recently told me that all legends have had a difficult past, and it makes me feel better. It sets strong foundations for an incredible future. And as Meredith Grey would say:

“Some days the whole world seems upside down. And then somehow, and improbably, and when you least expect it, the world rights itself again.”

Also, if you don't watch Grey's Anatomy please do. It's amazing.

xoxo

Christa 

1 comment: