Sunday, 29 September 2013

Good Riddance!

Autumn is my favourite season.  First of all, it marks the end of my least favourite season, that is summer. Secondly, I like waking up and reaching for my sweater because it's kind of too cold to get out of bed. I like how fresh the air smells straight after it rains. I love the day you realise it's finally sweater weather. I like cozy evenings spent sipping tea whilst talking to my mother. I like how chilly it gets at night. And as much as I hate to admit it, I always look forward to returning to school.

For the majority, spring is the season which is usually associated with new beginnings. However, for me it's usually autumn. Even if we're reluctant to admit it, school plays a very important role in the way we shape our daily routines - I'm usually thinking of which lectures I can miss when I'm scheduling an appointment of a coffee date. This autumn in particular marks a very important beginning academically - my Masters. I honestly NEVER thought this would happen. In fact I never thought I'd survive my undergraduate final year at all. Since it's something completely new, and unrelated to what I was studying for my undergrad, I'm totes excited yay!

Anyhow, I'm also bidding farewell to Summer 2013, finally. We all have this vision of that one life-changing summer. We all dream that we'll one day look back at that particular summer and realise our lives changed completely during those few weeks. We've seen it happen on TV and we couldn't wait for it to happen in reality.

I've spent this past year dreaming of this summer - literally dreaming. I never thought I'd manage to get through the past scholastic year and actually find myself in what I thought would be the summer of my life. The 12th of June felt very surreal. I finished my exams and I was now free. Even though I still had to sit for an exam in September, I felt free. However I felt that there was so much more to life than basking in the sun and getting drunk every weekend. It felt weird, and I hated it. I wanted to leave more than ever. July was the busiest July I've ever had. I worked a lot throughout July - so much that I never had time to think. Work was tiring, but I enjoyed it. I met a lot of people from all around Europe - which drove my claustrophobia insane. July also showed me that hard work does eventually pay off. The countless nights spent working on my thesis had magically turned themselves into a very surprising A.











The rest of summer plays itself like one of those dramatic flashbacks we're used to seeing on TV in my mind. I can't say I didn't have my fair share of change this summer. Maybe I've had too much actually. However it's safe to say that this has been, in its own way, my life-changing summer. I didn't find the love of my life, move to New York. I didn't take that trip to Asia to find myself. I can actually count the number of times I went out this summer. But even though what I've lost outweighs what I've gained, at least I gained something.

So whilst the majority of you are blue about leaving summer behind, I'm ecstatic. Good riddance to you, summer 2013.

xoxo
Christa









3 comments: