Saturday, 30 March 2013

The REALLY GRAND Book Sale

I think one of the most sacred moments in a person's life is the moment they buy books. There is something special about that feeling of knowing you might be buying your new favourite book, or the book that will change your life forever. Okay, enough with romanticising with the whole process of book-shopping - John Keats ain't got nothin' on me y'all!

Anyway, lately a number of organizations and individuals have been collecting money in aid of Puttinu Cares, a local organization that helps victims of cancer fund their treatment abroad. One of these companies is  Agenda Malta - who have literally put their stock at ridiculously cheap prices with proceeds going in aid of Puttinu Cares! Obviously I couldn't resist and today I headed towards The Point in Sliema. I must admit, I didn't expect what I found. Really. I found books I had been eyeing at Agenda stores FOR AGES, but was too broke to purchase. The prices for books ranged from €1 to €15 and titles ranged from classics to 50 shades of grey, to cooking books, children's books to travel books. I tried to snap some photos of the place, but honestly you need to go and see for yourselves!
There is a 'Cockatiels for dummies' . WOW.


The offers on the paperbacks 

Some of the paperbacks


TRAVEL BOOKS WOO!


After a rather intense SHOULD I GET THIS OR SHOULD I GET THIS session I managed to settle for these books:
1. The Rough Guide to Europe on a budget (€ 26.04€5)
2. About a Boy - Nick Hornby (€9.76  €3)
3. The Complete Polysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby (
€9.76 €3)
4. The Fat Wars - Chan Koonchung (€11.99€3)
5. A historical Guide to Ernest Hemingway - Linga Wagner-Martin (€17€3)
6. The Magician - W.Somerset Maugham (
€13.09€3)





After this rather intense hour or so spent book-shopping, my friend Thea and I had a rather interesting conversation about literature over some good coffee at Cioconat Lounge which is situated exactly next to the book sale tent in Pjazza Tigne.



This sale is on till Saturday 6th April, including Easter Sunday from 10am to 8pm. The event on Facebook says that stocks are replenished everyday, which can only mean one thing: there will DEFINITELY be a next time for me within this week. Apart from that, money spent on charity is money spent well!

xoxo
Christa.

No comments:

Post a Comment