Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Yours truly

I'm a firm believer that people shape their identity around the things they love and the activities they enjoy doing. This is why I tend to describe myself as a 20 year old coffee addict with a passion for travelling, literature and fashion. I'm also into DIY and photography, and anything creative really.

Travelling for travel's sake
I believe I was born in the wrong country (and maybe even in the wrong era). Since changing the latter has been proven impossible several times, I'm on my way to change the former - I'm on my way home. Where to? I still don't know. I like being a traveller, not a tourist. I like taking the side-streets. I'm also very fond of coffee-shops and bookshops. Actually, fond doesn't even begin to describe it. So combining these three is ultimate bliss.

I have a thing for cold cities, which is why I really want to go to Paris. Which leads me to my next point: I really want (and need) to learn French. Hence the French blog title which translates itself to 'spotted coffee-shop'. Since I'm currently during my final year at University, writing up a thesis and what not, this is the only exposure I'm getting for now to the French language.

Of Creativity and DIY 
I was brought up in a family where DIY was always considered the best alternative. Creativity was also encouraged especially since I spent the majority of my childhood thinking I'd grow up to become the next Michelangelo.

So needless to say I'm an avid DIY fan, especially when it comes to house decoration (and organization!) and fashion. Currently my mother, an ex-seamstress is trying to find some time to teach me how to use a sewing machine, so  I'm still trying to learn learn the ropes in this sector.

Beauty is in the eye of the person seen wearing the right outfit. As Mark Twain puts it "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society". Style is the key. I once heard that fashion is what you buy, style is what you do with it. And those are #wordstoliveby.

If cooking can be considered as a creative outlet, then I can include it in this section as well. My newly discovered fancy for cooking is something I go proud of - considering I was to cooking as E.L James is to literature until a couple of years ago.

Finally, photography. Since I grew up and realized I was extremely far away from becoming the next Michelangelo, I needed to find a way to capture snapshots of the real world in another way. Naturally, I turned to photography. This year, I vowed to make full use of my Nikon D3000 which has been waiting for its potential to be unleashed for way too long.

Bibliophilia 
(n.) the love of books.

Ever since I can remember, I've always been an avid reader. Even though I might have tried to deny this in the past, there's no fighting the nerd inside. My lifetime aspiration is to get published, and someday write my own novel. In the meantime, I hoard books like a madman, in hope that one day I'll  have the time to read them all.

I'm more into classics than contemporaries. Being an Arts student, reading for a degree in Maltese, has given me the opportunity to appreciate Maltese literature - something I had previously looked down upon. I think anything written in Italian is pure poetry and anything written by F.Scott Fitzgerald can make me melt like an ice-cream in the scorching heat typical of a Maltese summer.


I also believe people are meant to be discovered, not written about. Which is a perfect excuse to stop writing about myself.

Oh, I forgot. My name is Christa. Pleased to meet you.


3 comments: